Help please!! Hide and stealth rules

So I created a melee rogue with Hide in plain sight (Advanced Rogue talent) and the Spring attack feats. My whole character revolved around hiding after every attack I got from Spring attack but my DM said that I could only hide once a round because it is part of a move action. The reason he said this is because under the sniping rules it says: 

Sniping

If you’ve already successfully used Stealth at least 10 feet from your target, you can make one ranged attack and then immediately use Stealth again. You take a –20 penalty on your Stealth check to maintain your obscured location.

Action

Usually none. Normally, you make a Stealth check as part of movement, so it doesn’t take a separate action. However, using Stealth immediately after a ranged attack (see Sniping, above) is a move action.

So my question is what type of action is it to hide? Under the hide rules it doesn't say anything about hiding being an action. With hide in plain sight couldn't I be hiding all the time with no penalties? I wasn't using a ranged weapon and if it has to be part of a move action I still had movement left from spring attack.

Tagged:

Comments

• You make a good point, the vague wording around what kind of action stealth is makes it quite problematic.
    One problem I see is that Spring attack is not a 'move action', it is a 'full round action', the idea being that it take all of your character's effort that turn to perform this action, with nothing else included. Stealth is part of a move action, i.e. a stealth movement, but one that allows enough time to also take a 'standard action'.
    Perhaps you could make the case to your DM that in your character is essentially sniping, as in using the terrain to hide again after their action, even though their action exposes them. As such ,you could pull off your combo and hide, but at a -20 penalty, as long as you are in your favoured terrain and their is some reasonable cover.

Ultimately, interpretation of the rules comes down to an agreement between the players and the DM.
    Make your case, hear theirs, but at the end of the day the DM has to make the call they think will lead to the best game.