EDIT: IGNORE ME NOW

edited April 2020 in d20PFSRD

Hi all,

I have played DnD a for awhile now, but just starting a pathfinder 1e campaign with some friends. I haven't played pathfinder and am a bit confused on some of the mechanics that seem same-same... but different.

First off:

How does flanking work for sneak attack in 1e? Can I still use sneak attack if one of my allies are next to the foe like in 5e? Or do I, myself, now have to be flanking the foe? How does this tie into feints and trips? I'm having a hard time grasping rogues and their sneak attack in this version.

For my character:

I'm thinking a Catfolk Rogue of some sort, starting from level 1. I don't have stats yet, flushing that out later with my GM, but am trying to make the basic outline of the character now, and the rough path it will take until level 8 or so.

The goal character is:

• generally rogue-y for sneaking, picking locks, potentially pick pocketing

• she can be the face of the party for getting cheaper prices of gear/better appraisals

• attacks with a "get in, get out" attitude, in that I hit hard with my claws and GTFO so I don't take much damage with my soft little body

• decent enough at ranged attacks (probably with short bow)

So far for a skeleton I have:

• Catfolk Rogue, (possibly Scout or Ninja, unsure which, like aspects of both and could be convinced either way)

• Racial Traits: Cat's Luck, Natural Hunter, Sprinter, taking Scent over Low Light Vision

• Racial Feat: Catfolk Exemplar -> Cats Claws (eventually leading to Nimble Strike and Claw Pounce)

• Possible Catfolk specific Rogue Talents, so far in no particular order:

• Catfolk rogue talent: Vicious Claws

• Bleeding attack

• Befuddling stike

• Fast stealth

• Sniper's Eye <- I don't understand this because I don't understand how sneak works in 1e

• Unbalancing Trick

• Underhanded Trick

• Either Minor Magic, Major Magic, Artistic Talent, or Ninja Trick (though which spells/trick??)

• Trick Shot

• Wall mastery

Thoughts? Opinions? Prayers?

In general, I am somewhat confused about character building in pathfinder vs DnD due to similarities tricking me into a false sense of familiarity. I'm also a pretty new player, by many standards and generally lack the aptitude to develop and utilize a well rounded character. But I'm trying! haha

Thank you so much in advance.

Reference pages I used:
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-catfolk/, with "Catfolk Rogue Talents" and rogue talents found at the bottom of that page.

Comments

• Flanking and Sneak Attack are described in the Combat section. I believe you need to be Flanking, or have an ally engaged in melee to use Sneak Attack, UNLESS you are using a ranged attack. In which case you must be within 30 feet, and Flanking. 
    I suggest you look through the Archetypes of whichever class you are considering. 
    However, I do not suggest you start pick out Feats or Traits (more on Traits below) long before you can take them. {;ay the game, get the lay of the land, find out what will actually be useful before you make decisions. 
    Read through the descriptions of Traits. There are many useful Traits, so me even better than feats and there is a Feat which allows you to take two Traits in place of one Feat. 
    It can be very useful.